Smoke Alarms should be located on every floor and in every bedroom.
- Replace you smoke detector if it is more than ten years old.
- Never over-load electrical outlets with numerous electrical appliances or tools.
- Replace electrical appliances that have frayed or deteriorating electrical cords.
- Store flammable liquids in an outdoor storage shed or garage. These liquids should be stored in an air-tight, labeled container that is far away from any heating device.
- Keep matches and lighters out of a child’s reach.
- Ensure that your fire extinguisher is located in an area that is accessible to you.
- Rehearse your home escape plan at least twice per year.
- Ensure that all security doors and bars can be opened easily, from the inside.